According to Kelly blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://according-to-kelly.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 15, 2007

i HATE carving pumpkins...

to be honest (and you might be surprised), i'm not to fond of the holiday decorating. (actually let me re-state, i like christmas decor, but i've never been very good at decorating for the "other" holidays.) but, i have a two year who LOVES pumpkins & everything else associated with halloween, so i find myself going a little overboard. yet, i've put my foot down about carving pumpkins. i don't know why, i just don't like it. they are all slimy & gooey, i don't like pumpkin seeds & they always end up wilting right before the big day. so, i usually just pile up a load of pumpkins on the porch & call it a day. but i came across this idea in the martha stewart halloween issue... instead of carving or painting the pumpkins, save yourself a headache & slap on mask. suddenly your plain jane pumpkin can be a pirate, skeleton, or a simple masked avenger. then, when halloween is over, take off the mask & you have instant thanksgiving decor! fabulous!

10 comments:

Whatever Dee-Dee wants said...

Great idea, I HATE carving pumpkins too!

mama jo said...

that's a great idea..the problem with carving pumkins in california, is that they go rotten within days after being carved...it's too hot

Mom2fur said...

Masks on a pumpkin--what a great idea! I don't mind carving them. I let my kids do it these days, anyway. I'd rather handle the camera that the pumpkin carving knife!
I'm glad you liked you award!

Tip Junkie said...

I'm not to fond of the mess but I really like the end result and how excited the kids are afterwards. This is a really cute idea.

Holly said...

This I could do. No problem. Guts and seeds remain where they belong too.

Mique (as in Mickey) said...

i'm with you- I hate carving them too. I must have some sensory issues of my own. I don't like the slime. I might have to try the masks out. And I like that you can continue to use them for Thanksgiving- bonus!

Travelin'Oma said...

I've never liked scooping out the guts, either. This is a darling idea!

crystal said...

Oh, c'mon. You don't like stringy, slimey, gooey SMELLY orange stuff all over your counters and/or floors that dries up and then you have to scrape off? Whyever not?!

(I can't wait to see your gorgeous stuff at the Harvest Boutique, by the way)

Olivia Carter said...

I love the "getting together" part of pumpkin carving & the tradition but mine look HORRIBLE! I'm always out done by my husband- he's CRAZY good at pumpkins! Great Idea!

Andrea said...

I have a 2 year old who is really into every holiday as well. We spend a day with pumpkins and paint. We setup a little spot on the grass and I let her paint her own pumpkins while I try my best to make a few cute ones. Somehow hers seem to turn out better though.