According to Kelly blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://according-to-kelly.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 1, 2008

countdown to christmas

it's december 1st... time for the christmas countdown to begin. i love me a cute advent calendar, & there are so many to choose from. i still love THIS one, luckily i picked it up last year. but THIS cookie sheet advent calendar has defiitely caught my eye, as well as THIS "advent in a box".

so how do you countdown? add a new ornament to the tree each day? celebrate with a small gift or special treat? read a different christmas book each night? last year we started the tradition of doing an "activity based" advent calendar. sometimes our "activities" are big outings & sometimes they are just little things, but we try to do something a little special, every single day... spreading christmas cheer throughout the entire month. so here's this year's list:

1. write letters to santa
2. watch: how the grinch stole christmas
3. go to disneyland
4. go christmas tree shopping
5. attend a christmas tree lighting
6. ride the irvine rail roade christmas train
7. read: the tale of the three trees
8. make hot chocolate floats
9. watch: the nightmare before christmas
10. start our own "white envelope"tradition
11. have a picnic dinner by the christmas tree
12. dana point harbor boat parade of lights
13. ding dong ditch christmas treats
14. read: the christmas orange
15. gingerbread house
16. watch: white christmas
17. make home-made bread for hot chocolate & toast
18. newport beach boat parade
19. have breakfast for dinner
20. have a fondue/ candy cane dipping party
21. read: why christmas trees aren't perfect
22. drive around to see the neighborhood christmas lights.
23. watch: elf
24. sing christmas songs, tell the story of the true meaning of christmas, & read the christmas story

here's to a happy holiday season! it's definitely one of the happiest times of the year!
image via flickr.


    14 comments:

    Heidi said...

    thats a good list, can't wait to get started...

    Amber said...

    I love those ideas!

    Aranne and Dan said...

    very fun list.. I want to come to your house and join in all the fun!

    the mama monster said...

    i love your list. mostly i love that you are going to disneyland. i want to go so badly- i love it this time of year. i am super jealous. thanks for some good ideas!

    Janiece said...

    I hope you do not mind I linked your blog today. I love your advent ideas.

    Heather said...

    sounds like a lot of fun- I am coming to your place! I love the "white envelope" idea. The hibs and I have decided to read some sort of Christmas story every night til Christmas ( I see a tradition coming on) & tonight for FHE we are putting up the tree! I love this time of year!!! thanks for all the great great ideas!

    TUTU Monkey said...

    Great powst....thanks for the wonderful ideas!!

    TUTU Monkey said...

    I have been getting a ton of use out of my FUN apron....thanks

    http://tutumonkey.blogspot.com/2008/11/rules.html

    jen said...

    wow, you definitely know how to get in the spirit. how fun!

    The Shabby Princess said...

    Looks like you will have a very busy--and very fun filled month. Wow, where did the time go??

    Shannon said...

    THAT's QUITE the list! Do you actually do all of those things? You never cease to amaze me! We do have an advent calendar that opens up to a surprise everyday... it's wooden with little doors... my kids love it!

    G. said...

    What great ideas! I got a book last year called The Great ADVENTure and it has some great ideas for celebrating Advent. We do something for every day counting down, so far we've made our advent calendar and made mini "ginger-graham" houses out of graham crackers. I'm actually interested in trying your hot chocolate float...sounds yummy!

    Val said...

    What great ideas. I'm a couple days late but I might have to come up with something like this. I just have a wooden tree we put wooden lights with the numbered days.

    Jessica Turner said...

    I'm doing a daily december album too - you can see it here: http://jessicaturnersblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/daily-december-album.html