According to Kelly blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://according-to-kelly.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 6, 2008

pumpkin dump cake

i know, i know... my blog's becoming more of a recipe blog than anything else. (sorry to the few friends & family who read in hopes of catching a glimpse of the boys & what they are up to.) but, we don't really "do" thanksgiving. don't get me wrong, we definitely celebrate thanksgiving, there just isn't any cooking involved on my part. for as long as i can remember, actually only since i was in college, but it really is all i can remember, we've been out of town during the thanksgiving holiday. sure the hotels tend to put on a nice party, but sometimes i miss whipping up a big feast. so, i compensate by celebrating the "festivities" all month long.

anyway, so i went off on a tangent there, sorry. but i've got a tasty recipe for you here. don't be fooled by the name, my entire family LOVED it.

pumpkin dump cake
1 can (30-ounces) pure pumpkin
3 cups evaporated milk (about 2 cans)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 yellow cake mix (rumor has it that it's tasty with a white cake mix too)
1 cup chopped pecans
4 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 sticks of butter, melted

mix pumpkin, evaporated milk, cinnamon, ginger, eggs, sugar, salt & cloves together well. pour into a well-greased 9x13 pan. sprinkle with cake mix & drizzle with melted butter (try to cover all of the cake mix with butter), then sprinkle with the pecans. bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

in my personal opinion (which i know doesn't really count for much), i think it tastes best when it's well-cooled, & topped with cool whip or vanilla bean ice cream (those little black specks are the best!).

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

the recipe looks great. i will try to make it,and let you know what happend:)

Jan said...

Oh, this one looks yummy and easy both. That's my kind of recipe.

The Roberts Rollercoaster RIde said...

Yum-o!! (hey I have the same name as Rachael Ray...I can steal her sayings too!)
Oh and vanilla bean...THE BEST!

Jessi said...

I love your recipes. The ones I've tried have been total winners.

The Shabby Princess said...

MMMMmmm!!! Yummy!!!! I'm excited to try that.

Holly said...

Hey, I appreciate your yummy recipes! This one sounds quite tasty too.

Tori said...

I love it when you post recipes or ideas, because I use them and they are always tasty!! Keep 'em coming!!

Can't wait to make the dump cake...ha ha!

Heather said...

like I said on your previous recipe post- you are going to make us all fat, but at least we will be fat and happy. I love the turkey plate by the way :0)
Random question: where did you get your denim couch? I ask because I am looking for a neutral couch that will go well with my colors of choice- I LOVE BRIGHT COLORS. My kitchen chairs are now yellow, blue, and red-and the kitchen and living room are all one room- so I kind of want things to look like they semi coordinate. I saw your denim couch (or should I say pieces of it strewn about) and thought, "That would be perfect!" So if you don't mind telling me I would love to know where I can get one :0)

Misty said...

this is my FAVORITE thanksgiving recipe... I LOVE IT!!! it's so much better than pumpkin pie!

Alison said...

we have a recipe similar to that, but we call it pumpkin love. I bet it has a real name, but that is our name for it. It is basically cake mix and pumpkin and it is delicious!

Mikki said...

mmmm I love a good dump cake, but I haven't tried a pumpkin one before. SOunds delish!!! I'm gonna have to give it a go. Thanks for the recipe!

Mom said...

OMG I have to try this I love Pumpkin!

Anonymous said...

This sounds so delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe too :)

Olivia Carter said...

I made this last night & it was like Thanksgiving Heaven in every bite! thanks for the recipe!

Cluttered Brain said...

this sounds so yummy I will have to try it. DE-LISH!

laura said...

isn't it just the best cake EVER?? my sister in law who is a total healthy food NUT just dies a little bit every year when this comes out. i know she wants to eat good stuff, but she can't resist this! ;)