According to Kelly blog has moved!

You will be automatically redirected to the new address. If that does not occur, visit
http://according-to-kelly.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

big, fat, chewy chocolate chip cookies

my girlfriend "c" had been raving, non-stop, about her favorite new cookie recipe. when i realized she was baking up a batch nearly every single day, i decided i needed to whip some up for myself, & they definitely did not disappoint. if you want a cookie that is big, fat & chewy, just like something you'd buy at a fancy bakery, then this cookie is for you.

big, fat, chewy chocolate chip cookies
ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour, "c" suggests you do 1 1/1 cups all-purpose flour & 1/2 cup whole wheat or oat flour (for oat flour simply grind up oatmeal in your blender)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, MELTED
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tb. vanilla extract
1 egg (room temperature)
1 egg yolk (room temperature)
2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

directions:
1. sift together the flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl & set aside
2. in a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended.
3. beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until light and creamy.
4. mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
5. stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
6. chill the cookie dough in the refrigerator for 45-2 hours (to counteract the melted butter)
6. preheat oven to 325 degrees
7. drop cookie dough 1/4 cup at a time onto cookies sheet, cookie sheet should be 3 inches apart (i did 9 cookies per pan)
8. bake for 13-15 minutes, until the edges are lightly golden brown. this is the key! they might still seem gooey in the middle, but just let them cool on the baking sheets for a couple of minutes before transferring them & they will be perfect. (trust me, i'm speaking from experience, i overcooked my first batch.)

makes 18-20 cookies

now grab a big glass of milk & enjoy. oh! & you might want to double the recipe, because they go fast!

14 comments:

Linsey said...

I'm adding these to my weekly to do list right now. Thanks!

Qwendykay said...

This is our favorite cookie recipe ever. We even had a party where we taste tested it compared to Donna B's cookie dough, and this recipe won every time. I have this recipe printed out on a stack of recipe cards, because every time I bring these cookies some place, I'm asked for the recipe.

Rebecca is Thrilled by the Thought said...

I just bookmarked this page. And then found a napkin to wipe the drool off my chin.

Modern Crush said...

I am going to try these tonight! Thanks so much!

Morgan Jane said...

Yum! My husband's a chocoholic, so I'm always on the lookout for good receipes. And who doesn't want the best chocolate chip cookies?

Letti said...

I am going to have to try these. I added them to my recipe collection.

Lin said...

Wow, those look good.

country at heart said...

mmmm.....they look yummy and chocolate chip cookies are a favorite in our house! I will be making these in the very near future :-)

Jenny said...

I tried them...they were yummy! Thanks!

Hildie said...

I've been using this recipe for about five years now (it's originally a Cook's Illustrated recipe) and it's my absolute fave. Not only are the cookies fantastic, but the dough is THE BEST!
(I add an extra 1/4 cup flour because I like them a little thicker).

Brian and Arika said...

These were delish! Thank for the recipe!

Suz Broughton said...

Oh these look good!

Roo said...

These were great Kelly. Thank you so much for posting the recipe. It is hard to find good cookie recipes for high altitude, but these puffed up nicely.

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

Kelly- I just made these yesterday and they were super yummy! I posted about them on my blog and credited you! Thanks for sharing!
-Stephanie
somewhatsimple.blogspot.com